GoBeDo

Thank you so much for stopping by! Time appears to be flying by way too fast and I'm looking to do something exciting with the rest of my life. I'll be starting an online fitness business called "GoBeDo" sometime this year. Be sure and check in. You'll learn about High Interval Training, Yoga, Body weight exercise, Spartan races, Functional training and whole lot more. Real $hit, for Old Timers like me. Why? We only have one shot at a grandiose and fulfilling life. Let's get busy creating one. Remember, it's the start that stops most people. The last thing I want to take to my grave is "regret!"
Peace/Love and Hugs!
Guapo (Grandpa Jasso)
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 20, 2011

IS IT OKAY FOR YOUR CHILD TO LIFT WEIGHTS?



Hey, it's Marco! People always tend to ask me this question, "When can my child start using weights?" Hmm...Good question! I expect parents worry that the old myth about weight training stunting children's growth still lingers out there in fantasy land! (Earth) Parents need to realize that running and jumping create more ground reactive force than than lifting weights ever could. Unless of course, the child drops one on their toe! Ouchy! I would suggest that children work with a trainer, coach or parent well versed in the fitness world as solid technique is priority number one! I would also recommend starting out with body weight exercises such as standing squats, push ups, pull ups, and certainly yoga! Have you ever seen a little baby doing what appears to be yoga on the living room floor? They'll be fine! However, if you take them along to the gym, or have a home gym, I would suggest using only free weights and not machines when starting them out. Machines can't quite duplicate the same functional movements as free weights. My son, Jakob, also likes to use a jump rope while training in his MMA class. He's only seven! Oh, and personally, I would wait until your child is at least 9 or 10 years of age, before introducing weights... That's my opinion! Remember, everybody has one...But mine comes from experience! LOL!
Stay healthy!
Marco/

No comments:

Post a Comment